Friday, February 10, 2012

Getting Purse-onal

Yeah, ouch that pun was bad.....

O.k. so I have a (not-so) secret obsession with being "perfectly packed" and this includes my purse I carry around everyday. Yes. I have some issues. I get asked a lot about "what all is in there" so I thought why not completely over-share?

Here's what I like to have with me in my purse.  These all get me through most any occasion without being completely overloaded.
  • iPhone.  What would we do without the iPhone? It’s a camera, a notepad, a gps, a date planner, a movie player, an internet browser, a DS, a book…..  Basically anything you want it to, it can do.  It has to be one of the most amazing inventions ever. 
  • Ear Buds love these cheapies.  They work great, especially for the price. 
  • Cable Keeper another super invention.  Keeps those ear bud cords from making a huge tangled mess.
  • Splitter love this for times when two people want to hear.  We use this a lot on road trips. 
  • Flashlight not something everyone thinks to carry in their purse, but I use mine all the time.  Mainly to find things IN my purse!  I’ve used it in the movie theater to find dropped items (after the movie is over of course) in a power outage at work etc.  It comes in handy.
  • Wipes can be used for the obvious or to clean any surface.  I use mine for public tables quite a bit.
  • Wallet I like having one that can also be used as a clutch in case I don’t want to take my whole purse. I also almost always go with a red wallet.  I read years ago that having a red wallet will make it easier to find in your purse, seems true to me!  Plus if you pull it out as a clutch, red is surprisingly neutral.
  • Pen Space pens are amazing, I recommend getting one in a bright color so it’s easy to find.
  • Water. I keep one of those tiny Trader Joe’s bottles in my purse for an emergency drink, or more often for my daughter so we don’t have to track down a water fountain in the middle of the mall.
  • Snack; keep yourself and your children from eating junk food by keeping a small snack on hand.
  • First Aid Kit.  I love this little kit.  It’s just the right size for a few Band-Aids, gauze and antiseptic spray.  I also keep a few individually wrapped Advil and Tylenol packages for those random aches and pains, few safety pins and a book of matches too.
  • Nail Clippers always a good idea to have these around, choose one with a built in file.
  • Tide Pen; trust me, just get the 6 pack.  You’ll use it.
  • Scissors another one that comes in handy quite often, especially when I’m with my daughter. Clipping tags off new toys, random threads, and emergency craft projects, etc.
  • Wisps love these! A little on the wasteful side, but just great when you need a quick toothbrushing or have an unexpected overnight trip. 
  • Floss for the obvious, or when you need a bit of string, floss works great!
  • Crayons perfect for boredom.  Small manageable package and better than 4 pack of crayons most restaurants hand out.  These kind twist up so they never break and come in a nice little package which restrains them from getting all over everything else in your purse. 
  • Coloring Book the 4x6 size are the perfect size to keep in your purse on a regular basis. 
  • Business Card Holder you never know who you are going to meet! I keep both my business cards, and my Mom cards in there just in case.  I love my yummy butter yellow case too.
  • Sniffs; a huge hit with most everyone that needs a tissue. 
  • Chapstick of course!
  • Handwarmers in the winter months SunScreen wipes in the summer months.  
  • Notecards and Stamps; nicer than a post it, and you can mail it. 
  • Hairbrush and Hair Elastics I like the brush because it folds away very compactly and has a built in mirror, and the clear bands because they appropriate for lots of hairstyles.
  • Altoids and Gum a must.
  • Sunglasses even for rainy Seattle, sunglasses are a necessity.
  • Umbrella speaking of rainy Seattle, I’ve gotta have a small umbrella.   
  • Lipgloss this is the only make-up I keep in my purse.
  • Tampons because we’re girls. LOL  I carried these in my purse even when I was pregnant.  There is no one in the world more grateful than the random lady in the restroom in need and out of quarters. 
  • Tape Measure you just wouldn't believe how often I use this.  Also for a decorating nut like myself, you never know when you are going to find the perfect thing yet wonder if it'll fit in the space you have in mind.
  • $100 cash.  Enough for a small emergency, but be sure to save it for that emergency! Keep it in a tucked away pocket, not in your wallet. 
  • $2 in quarters.  It’s fun to let your child be able to ride the horse in front of the grocery store every now and again; it’s even more fun to leave a couple quarters for another kid to ride.
Side Pockets
Main Compartment
Front Pockets
 So there you have it! Everything you need conveniently located in your purse.  What do you like to keep in your purse? Do you think this is too much? Is there something I've missed that you can't live without? I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers! (there may, or may not be a shot of crown hidden in there.....)

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. I must be a purse minimalist. Ha! My bag is lots smaller. Right now, it has my phone, keys, purse hanger, Kindle, a pen, rewetting drops for contacts, cloth for cleaning my glasses, a patch for my daughter's Brownie uniform, and some receipts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! I don't carry a purse but will be adding a couple of things to the diaper bag since reading this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete